What you need:
- 900 gr fillo pastry for sweets (approximately 10-13 pastries sheets)
- 500 gr. butter
- 150 gr crushed walnuts
- 100 gr crushed rusks
- 500 gr sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 300 gr water
- For the stuffing mix the dried bread with the walnuts and the cinnamon. On a large clean surface spread the first three flaky pastries which will be the base of our pastry.
- Spread some of stuffing then place another flaky pastry on top and repeat this procedure until you reach the fifth flaky pastry.
- In the same way we do 2 more saragli until all of our ingredients have finished.
- From a kilo you can get 13-15 flaky pastry, therefore calculate that each saragli has to have up to 5 flaky pastries and the stuffing should not be a lot, but just enough to cover each flaky pastry.
- The stuffing should be in the middle so it does not spill out when wrapped.
- When you finish with the above, roll the pastry carefully.
- If there is too much flaky pastry hanging around cut it with a knife. Then cut the rolls into approximately 1-2 cm slices.
- Place the slices on a tray, where you have spread some butter, so that the staffing looks up.
- Melt the butter, take out all of its foam and before it gets cold spread it with a spoon on each slice.
- Bake in medium temperature for an hour until it is brown and you can smell the walnut.
- In the meanwhile prepare the syrup by boiling sugar, lemon, water and the lemon zest in a pot. When the syrup is thick take out the lemon zest and keep it warm until our pastry is done.
- Sprinkle warm syrup on the freshly baked pastry and cover it with a clean towel. The pastry will absorb the syrup and after an hour it will be ready for serving!