Bougatsa (Custard Filled Phyllo Pastry)
What you need:
- 1 ½ lt milk
- 2 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Zest of one orange
- 4 eggs
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry.
- 150 g butter, plus more melted for separating the sheets of pastry
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C degrees.
- Place the milk, sugar, semolina and vanilla essence in a saucepan and heat until boil point.
- Turn down the heat and simmer gently until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and the eggs one by one.
- Add the orange zest. Place 5 phyllo sheets, each separated with a thin layer of melted butter, on a baking tray covered with non-stick baking paper.
- Using a spatula, spread custard onto the sheets.
- Cover with the remaining 5 phyllo sheets (again separated by a thin layer of melted butter).
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and dust with cinnamon and caster sugar!