Ingredients for tsoureki:
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 1 sachet of dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups of flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 orange (zest)
- ½ tablespoon of mahleb
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- 3 small eggs well beaten
Ingredients for the glaze:
- some egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- ⅓ cup of almonds finely chopped
- Mix the milk, the yeast, ½ cup of flour and a pinch of sugar in a large bowl. Cover with a towel and set aside in a warm place for one hour.
- In another bowl, mix the remaing flour, the salt, the sugar, the orange zest and the mahlepi.
- Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, the butter and the eggs.
- Κnead until the dough is smooth and doesn't stick to your hands.
- Then cover it with a towel and set it aside to rise until doubled in bulk. Divide the dough into three parts and create a braid.
- Pinch together at both ends to hold the braid. Let it rise for two hours.
- Beat together the egg yolk and the milk. Brush over the braid and sprinkle with almonds.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and bake for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown.