Cod fish pie
Ingredients For the filling:
- ½ kg of dried and salted codfish fillets
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped chives
- ½ cup finely chopped dill
- ½ cup finely chopped marjoram
- 100g. glutinous rice
- 300g. water,
- salt, pepper
For the traditional phyllo pastry sheet:
- 600kg of all purpose flour
- ½ soup spoon of salt
- ½ tea cup of olive oil
- ½ tea cup of wine
- 3 soup spoons of water
Remove skin from codfish and let it soak in water for 12 to 14 hours, changing the water frequently (3-4 times). Take the fish out of water and drain.
- Remove all bones by hand and separate fillet into flakes.
Boil rice and place in large bowl adding and mixing it together with codfish, olive oil, chive, dill, marjoram, salt and pepper.
- Phyllo sheet
In a bowl put 400gr of flour leaving a gap in the middle.
- Add in gap: salt, oil, wine, water and start kneading. If needed add more flour until it becomes soft, smooth and doesn’t stick to hands. Let dough sit for 30’. Divide dough and open two thick sheets.
- Oil an oblong baking dish and lay one of the phyllo sheets on the bottom.
- Spread the stuffing on it and cover it with the other sheet. Fold the excess dough edges towards the inside.
- Score top sheet with a knife into rectangles and bake for one hour at 180oC until the dough becomes crisp and golden brown.