- 1 lb chopped meat
- 3 tablespoons butter or lard
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 3 or 4 round eggplants (medium size)
- Salt, pepper and grated nutmeg
Ingredients for white sauce (Bechamel):
- 1 quart milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3 or 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- salt, white pepper and grated nutmeg
- Brown onions in butter or lard. Add chopped meat, mixing constantly until mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add tomato sauce, wine, water, salt, pepper, parsley and nutmeg.
- Cover pan and cook for 1 h. over low heat. In the meantime, cut the eggplants lengthwise in thick slices.
- Salt them, let them strain in a colander and fry in deep fat.
- Let the fried eggplants strain again.
- Prepare a thick white sauce (Bechamel) with milk, flour, butter, salt, white pepper and grated nutmeg. Add eggs.
- Arrange eggplants in shallow pan with a few breadcrumbs. Remove chopped meat from heat, add half the grated cheese and half of the breadcrumbs. Spread evenly over the eggplants.
- Pour the white sauce evenly over this and sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs on top. Pour some melted butter over the top and bake for 15 min. until golden brown.
- Cool slightly and cut in squares. Good for 6-8 servings.