Gigantes aka Giant Beans with Tomato Sauce in the Oven
Have you ever tried gigantes ? In Greece, we love to cook Giant Beans with Tomato Sauce, Olive Oil and Mediterranean Herbs and Spices. We slow cook them in the oven and then enjoy them with wine, ouzo or tsipouro. And the best thing about them is not their divine taste but the fact that you can actually store them in vase in your refrigerator and consume them any time with friends as a quick meze without even having to warm them up!
Personally, I love beans - all kind of beans. Because they are so easy to cook in any variation you like. They are healthy and tasteful.
In my family, we prepare giant beans (aka gigantes ) in every possible way and variation! But, today, I will present to you the most classic and easy step-by-step recipe for you to prepare them and enjoy them with your beloved ones.
By the way, the ones you are going to see in the pictures - I only managed to eat a small plate ! My mom ...confiscated the rest of them, since it's one of her absolute favourites!
Enough with the talking though. Let's see the ingredients you will need:
- 250gr giant beans
- 1 cup of Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 fresh onions, chopped
- 1 dry onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of pepper paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sea salt (fleur-de-sel always works best)
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh celery leaves
- 1 cup of wine
- dry oregano for finish
1) Cover the beans in water, in which you add 1 tablespoon of baking soda for at least 10 hours before starting cooking them.
2) The next morning boil them in plenty of water until they soften (30-40 minutes)- be careful not to overcook them, because they will start to melt.
3) In a large pan , add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the onions, then add the garlic. When they become soft, pour in the wine and let them boil.
4) Add the tomato sauce, where you have already blended in the paste and the seasoning.
5) Add the herbs. Preheat your oven at 350 F.
6) Cook your sauce for approx 10 minutes.
7) Put your beans in a large baking pan.
8 Pour your sauce, the rest of the olive oil and a cup of water. Cover with foil.
9) Bake for approx 60 minutes, until the sauce blends thouroughly.
Here they are:
Sprinkle with oregano and enjoy with good company!
Here is a quick video of the preparation:
article by www.trofos.com
see original article here