The tobacco warehouses are inseparable part of Xanthi. In the past they were business and other activity centers and were built in 1912 by builders from Epirus and West Macedonia.
The tobacco warehouses were built to house large quantities of tobacco and nowadays they belong to Xanthi local authorities. One after the other the warehouses become cultural and artistic centers such as the warehouses at 12 Apostoloi Str, which houses the Academy of Thracian Arts and Tradition and the one in Dimokritos and the one at Kapnergaton Str, which houses the Xanthi Municipality Activity Center for the Elderly. A complex of “Π” (Pi) shape warehouses at Kapnergaton Str. now hosts open air music festivals, as well as the offices of Super Prefecture of Drama-Kavala-Xanthi, since Xanthi is the capital of this Super prefecture.
In a fully renovated warehouse opposite "Amiridio" football field, Xanthi prefecture has created the Museum of Tobacco which exhibits items of great historic importance related to the cultivation, processing and distribution of tobacco in past and modern times.