Capital and port at the same time, the city of Lefkada welcomes visitors with its beautiful narrow streets, small squares, traditional houses, fine belfries and paved pedestrian streets. It is connected with the opposite coastline of Sterea Ellada by a bridge and has approximately 8.000 inhabitants.
The fortress of Aghia Mavra, situated at the entrance of the city, was built by the Sicilian Ioanni Orsini in 1300. It is built next to an artificial canal on an islet of the lagoon; later, both Venetians and Turks have added some pieces.
- The Bosketo park, which used to be a meeting point for the intelligentsia of the island.
- The pedestrian street along the coast with hangouts for young people, cafés and music bars.
- The Archaeological Museum with findings dating back to the Middle Paleolithic era until the 4th century A.D.
- The Central Public Library which, among other things, possesses a collection of Post-Byzantine Eptanesian icons.
- The Charamogleios Special Library of Lefkada exhibiting rare books, gravures and maps and hosting an art hall, where contemporary painting and photography exhibitions take place.
- The Folklore Museum, with a representation of a traditional house of Lefkada.
- The Museum of Phonograph-Old Souvenirs, with exhibitions of old phonographs, old disks, decorative items-antiques, old banknotes, etc.
- The wetlands of Megalos and Mikros Avlaimonas, two natural fish farms near the town.
- The windmills in Gyra and in the small village Fryni (2km SW), built on a slope with a beautiful view.