Chania area has several important caves known from the Minoan period. The most famous are:
- Chora of Sfakia, Fragkokastelo: DASKALOGIANNI CAVE, situated on the coast, is accessible only by boat. During the Revolution of 1770 here operated the mint.
- Aghia Marina: The cave constituted a place of worship during the Middle Minoan period.Theriso: SARAKINA CAVE,
- located 2 km to the N, where ancient vases were found.
- Malaxa: ACHLODOLAKKI and GRAI SPILI CAVES near the village.
- Fournes: CHIROSPILIOS CAVE, 2 km to the N.