A walk through the city will allow you to see from close its main sights. Do not forget to visit
The churches of Koimisi tis Theotokou (or Assumption of the Virgin), Panagia Palatiani (Aghia Tsoura) with its wooden templon, Aghios Georgios (Metropolitan) built in the 17th century, Panagia Theoskepasti (patron of the island), Aghios Andreas ton Latinon and Panagia Thalassini built on a rock by the sea.
Kaireios Library housed in a mansion built in 1919. The library includes Theofilos Kairis’ (1784-1853) collection, a theologian, philosopher and fighter of the 1821 War of Independence.
Petros and Maria Kidonieos Foundation housing many painting and sculpture exhibitions.
Empirikio Girokomeio (Nursing home for old people) and Empirikio Gymnasium, where exhibitions are organized by Vassilis and Eliza Goulandri Foundation.
- Theofilos Kairis house, located opposite the Metropolitan church.
- The Public Theater where theatrical plays are organized and movies are projected.
- Rivas square and Afanos Naftis statue created by Michalis Tompros.
- Kato (Mesa) Castle. It was built in the beginning of 13th century by the Franks and is connected to the land by a single arched stone bridge built in the 13th century.
- Tourlitis Lighthouse built on a rock at the port’s entrance.
- The Archeological Museum including findings (statues, bas-reliefs, jewels etc) excavated in Zagora, Korthi and Palaiopoli. In its yard you can see Kampanis marble spring (beginning of the 19th century) which was left there from Ottoman occupation.
- The Museum of Folklore and Christian Art built by Marios Vassilopoulos and Irini Mantzavelaki-Vassilopoulou.
- The Museum of Modern Art built by Vasilis and Eliza Goulandri Foundation. It includes works of famous Greek and foreign artists and it houses remarkable temporary exhibitions.
- Nimporio coastal settlement with cypress tree rows, running waters, scenic bridges and fields full of citrus trees and gardening.
- The arched stone bridge located close to Nimporio.
- Livadia settlement with cypress tree rows, running waters and fields full of citrus trees and gardening.
- Vrachnos settlement with an amazing view of Chora.