Sightseeing - Chora Keas(Ioulida)
A walk through the city will give you the chance to visit its main sights. Do not forget to visit:
- Ancient Ioulida, capital of Kea from the late Romaic to the early Byzantine period.
- The Archeological Museum, with an interesting collection from the prehistoric and historic times.
- The medieval castle of the 13th century, walled up with ancient materials.
- The neoclassic buildings of the preliminary school (19th century) and of the City Hall (1902), designed by Ernst Chiller.
- The century old plane tree and the marble faucet at the entrance of Ioulida.
- The paintings of Alekos Fasianos, in one of the covers in the central square of the capital.
- The churches of Panagia Chrisospiliotissa, Evaggelismos, Agio Spiridona, Panagia Revmatiani, Aghios Dimitrios and Panagia Gamila.
- Leontas tis Ioulidas (or Lion of Ioulida), a colossal statue, carved on a natural rock (7th-6th century B.C.).
- The Monastery of Episcopi, SE of Ioulida, with an interesting architecture.
- The Monastery of Aghia Anna, east of Ioulida, with a catholic dating back to the 13th century.
- The Monastery of Daphne, west of Ioulida. It was established by Aghia Filithei Athinaia (1522-1589).
- The Aghia Marina Tower next to the homonym church (4th century B.C.).