The capital of the Prefecture of Fokida is built in the place of the ancient and well fortified town inhabited by the Esperians or the Ozolian Locrians. It is built at the foothill of Elatos mountain under the historical and legendary great Castle of Salona (Orgia). During the 7th century B.C. Amfissa became a city-state, marked major progress in arts and trade and remained prosperous for at least three centuries. In 338 B.C., king Philip of Macedonia ravaged the ancient acropolis and completely destroyed the town in order to punish the locals for having cultivated part of the Krisean Field, which was under the control of the Amphictyonic Council.
The town was reconstructed (along with Nafpaktos) and became one of the most influential towns of the powerful Aetolian League, reaching its peak of prosperity in the beginning of the 2nd century B.C. During the Byzantine period, it was depopulated by the Bulgarians of Samuel, while during the 100 year long Frankish occupation its name was changed to Salona. Amfissa played a major role in the Greek War of Independence (1821). It was here that on March 25th the Revolution was declared. In 1825, Amfissa was ransacked by the Turks and was definitively liberated in November 1828. Amfissa is located 186 km NW of Athens and 381 km south of Thessaloniki.