When in Drama, be sure to taste and buy:
- Home-cooked sausages from Volakas
- Potatoes and fasolia gigantes (giant white beans), which are Protected Geographical Indication products from Kato Nevrokopi. Also trout brought up in the river and pastourma (black-rinded smoked bacon with garlic).
- Glyka tou koutaliou (confiture) and jams made of local fruit, liqueurs (krano, plum or mint), chylopites (Greek pasta), evriston or yvriston and keskesi (from Pontos), giofkades (Greek pasta with spinach and tomato), tsai tou vounou (mountain herbs’ tea), chamomile and oregano from the Productive and Tourist Women's Cooperative of Paranesti (tel.: 25240 22292), as well as the Agricultural Women’s Cooperative of Kokkinogeia “O Maaras” (tel. 25240 60367). You may also find some dried mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, etc.
Viniculture in Drama bears great significance, as during the last 10 years it gives products which constitute unique examples of quality and have received many awards in Greece and abroad.
The vines of Drama stretch over some 4,000 acres, where selected grape varieties are cultivated such as Asyrtiko, Limnio, Savvatiano, Roditis, Moschato of Alexandria. Grape varieties which come from abroad are also cultivated in these fields.
Enjoy the eponymous and renowned local wines at the wineries of the Prefecture, which you can also visit:
- “Techni Oinou” (Art of Wine) Estate, Mikrochori, Papadopoulos I, - Kalaitzidis I. General Partnership, tel./fax: 25210 83626 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Techni Alypias” Estate, Mikrochori, located 5 km away from Drama, tel.: 25210 83626
- Pavlidis Estate (Kokkinogeia), 17 km W of Drama, tel.: 25210 583000, fax: 25210 58310 e-mail: email@example.com
- Lazaridis Estate Wine-producing – Industrial - Agricultural – Commercial Company, Agora, 15 km away from Drama, tel.: 25210 82049-50, fax: 25210 -82047 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kostas Lazaridis Estate (Adriani), tel.: 25210 82348, fax: 25210 -82320 e-mail: email@example.com
- Manolesakis Estate (Agora), 10 km away from Drama, tel.: 25210 82010, fax: 25210 82015 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michailides Estate, Aghios Athanasios (does not accept visitors), tel.: 25210 68198, 6944379822.