Nimborio, the capital of Chalki, is built amphitheatrically above the crystal clear sea, preserving its noble beauty, its picturesque alleys and the special house architecture: It is one of the prettiest neoclassical settlements of Greece! The former capital of the island was Chorio, built next to the mighty fortress of Knights of Rhodes. Once the inhabitants overcame their fear of the pirates they founded Chalki or Nimborio (1850-1870), which was filled with mansions, reflecting the memories of these prosperous years. Chalki is a featured, traditional settlement.
Sights worth visiting
- The imposing stone tower of the clock, in front of the neoclassic Town Hall.
- The temple of patron saint Aghios Nikolaos [Saint Nicolas] (1861) bearing the tallest bell-tower of Dodecanese and a beautiful black and white pebbled mosaic in its surroundings.
- Chorio (2.5 km W) was the former capital of the island, but it was officially deserted during the 60’s. The small stone-made houses are made of ancient materials, beneath the castle of Saint John’s Knights, upon a location with a marvelous view. It’s also worth visiting Panaghia built in the 16th century.
- The monastery of Taxiarxis Michael (5 km NW) housing a beautiful icon of the saint, as well as the monastery of Ai-Giannis Alarga, with the huge cypress in the west end of Chalki.
- Kameno Spilio, in the location «Amiglai», in the NW side of the island.