The capital of the prefecture (with 20.000 inhabitants) was just a small village during the Ottoman occupation. Back then the commercial center of the region was Avret Chisar (todays Ginekokastro) where the big bazaar was taking place. By the end of 17th century, the bazaar was transferred to Kilkis and the small village began to flourish. After the victorious battle of Kilkis in June 1913, the Turkish governors set fire to the city and very few old buildings were saved from it. Kilkis is located 560 km N of Athens and 50km N of Thessalonica.