It is located in Kolokotroni square This impressive neoclassic building, which has been housing the Museum since 1961, was built in the period of 1858-1871 according to the designs of Fr. Boulanger which were later modified by Greek architect P. Kalko. Until 1935 the building housed the Greek Parliament and that is why it is called Palia Vouli (Former Parliament). The exhibits, which are presented in 16 rooms, cover all periods of Greek history from the 15th century until now. Following a chronological order the exhibition first shows items from the last years before the fall of Constantinople (15th century) and it continues until 1940 and the beginning of the Second World War. The majority of the exhibits refer to the events and the leaders of the 1821 War of Independence.