120 km, at Pylos, Messinia, 3 hours tour by car
Pylos, or Pílos (Italian: Navarino), is a large bay and a town on the west coast of the Peloponnese, in the district of Messenia. Occupied as early as the Middle Bronze Age, the site is dominated by a monumental structure, known as Nestor’s palace, which is the best preserved of the existing Mycenean palaces. Built in the Late Bronze Age (ca.1300 B.C.), the palace consists of 105 ground floor apartments. The most important compartments of the palace are the big “throne room”, with its circular heath, a room with a clay bath tube, and stores with numerous storage jars. The walls of the palace were decorated with beautiful frescos.